POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can't Figure out trace() : Can't Figure out trace() Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Can't Figure out trace()
From: How Camp
Date: 5 Apr 2002 19:12:53
Message: <3cae3d85@news.povray.org>
Hmm.  I don't seem to understand how to use trace() correctly.  Being a
dutiful user, I went back to the manual, and found a nifty example involving
a simple sphere and a cylinder.  It works great...

...unless I translate the sphere around.  Then, trace() tends to return
results based on where the object was #defined, not where it actually sits
in the scene.  Multiple placements of the object don't seem to get hit,
either as I would (incorrectly?) expect them to.

For example, if I #declare MySphere at the origin, and then place it in my
scene via object{MySphere translate <3,3,3>}, my use of trace() seems to
return results as if the sphere were actually sitting at the origin instead
of at my translated position.

Help!  What am I doing wrong?

- How